LG has revealed their newest smartphone that appears to be only available in the US. Dubbed the Spectrum (by LG), the phone touts the fact that it has a 4.5-inch True HD IPS display – the very same technology LG uses for its own HD televisions.
In addition, the screen is protected by Gorilla Glass. Other specifications include a 1.5GHz dual-core processor, an 8-megapixel camera with LED flash and a front-facing 1.3-megapixel camera, and a 16GB microSD card included. The phone will run initially on Android 2.3 Gingerbread, with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich available in the first half of the year.
The most attractive feature, supposedly, is the fact that it has ESPN’s ScoreCenter app preloaded, meaning that you can follow your sporting team from your phone. In addition, those with the phone have exclusive access to a 720p HD feed if connected to 4G or Wi-Fi.
The phone is an exclusive to Verizon and will be out in January 19 in the US. No word on Australian availability – and the likelihood of this arriving seems pretty slim.
Gallery and press release below.
VERIZON WIRELESS AND LG MOBILE CONTINUE LEGACY OF INNOVATION BY OFFERING A TRUE HD MOBILE EXPERIENCE WITH SPECTRUM™ BY LG
Latest LG Smartphone Boasts True HD IPS Display, Verizon Wireless 4G LTE, Dual-Core Processor and ESPN ScoreCenter App with Exclusive HD Feed
LAS VEGAS – From the 2012 International Consumer Electronics Show (CES), Verizon Wireless and LG Mobile today announced Spectrum™ by LG smartphone, exclusively for Verizon Wireless. Spectrum is the first smartphone for Verizon Wireless to feature a 4.5-inch True HD In-Plane Switching (IPS) display, the same display technology used in premium LG HD televisions. Intensifying its HD capabilities, Spectrum by LG will give customers exclusive HD access to the ESPN™ ScoreCenter application. Spectrum will be in the Verizon booth (Las Vegas Convention Center, South Hall, Booth #30259) and LG booth (Las Vegas Convention Center, Central Hall, Booth #8204).
ESPN’s ScoreCenter app is supported by an exclusive HD video feed, giving customers the exclusive access to ScoreCenter stats, images and videos in 720p HD. Scoreboards and live game details include in-game stats, news and video. Personalization features allow fans to customize their ScoreCenter experience by highlighting their favorite teams and leagues from around the world, all in crystal clear high-definition.
Showcasing LG’s True HD technology, Spectrum by LG supports 1280 x 720 resolution and offers one of the brightest and sharpest displays available on a mobile device. Spectrum’s 500-nit display luminance and Real-Stripe RGB pixels offer users clear viewing in direct sunlight and accurate true-to-life color rendering.
Spectrum also features a Qualcomm® 1.5 GHz dual-core processor combined with 4G LTE connectivity for robust power, multitasking and download speeds. Verizon Wireless leads the way in 4G with the fastest and most reliable 4G network in the United States, covering more than 200 million people in 190 markets.
• 4.5-inch True HD IPS display provides natural colors and brilliant, undistorted HD images in 16:9 aspect ratio. Pictures and texts are incredibly sharp with 329 pixels per inch (PPI) screen density.
• Protected by Corning® Gorilla® Glass, the True HD IPS display uses Real Stripe subpixel arrangement so images never get blurred.
• Android™ 2.3 Gingerbread (Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade available the first half of 2012); support for Google™ Mobile Services including Gmail™, YouTube™, Google Talk™, Google Search™, Google Maps™ and access to more than 300,000 apps available to download from Android Market™.
• Preloaded Netflix app allows Netflix subscribers to stream the latest movies in high-definition quality.
• Qualcomm 1.5 GHz dual-core processor makes multitasking seamless. Customers can surf the Web, check email and update social networks effortlessly.
• ESPN’s ScoreCenter app offers the most comprehensive sports coverage available on an Android device whether you follow the NFL or Premier League, ICC Champions League or MLB™, NASCAR or Formula One™. Customers can follow teams from more than 500 leagues around the world with an exclusive 720p high-definition feed for Spectrum by LG while connected to the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network or Wi-Fi.
• Spectrum supports Dolby® Digital Plus, which allows users to maximize their HD multimedia experience. Dolby Digital Plus can stream up to 7.1 channels of surround sound through home entertainment systems.
• 8-megapixel rear-facing autofocus camera with LED flash to snap beautiful pictures and 1080p video capture
• Front-facing 1.3-megapixel camera for video chat
• SmartMovie HD app—create and edit HD videos right on the Spectrum by LG
• Mobile Hotspot capability—share 4G LTE connection with up to 10 Wi-Fi-enabled devices
• Bluetooth® Version 3.0
• 16 GB microSD™ card pre-installed with support for up to 32 GB microSD card
• SmartShare—share media wirelessly to DLNA®-enabled devices
• HDMI mirroring capable via MHL
Pricing and availability:
• Spectrum by LG will be available on Jan. 19 in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores and online at www.verizonwireless.com for $199.99 with a new two-year customer agreement.
• Customers who purchase a Spectrum by LG will need to subscribe to a Verizon Wireless Nationwide Talk plan beginning at $39.99 monthly access and a smartphone data package starting at $30 monthly access for 2 GB of data.